Sunday, October 22, 2006

Why Move On?

What do people mean when they say “I’ve moved on”? What does it mean, really? Does it mean that I was crushed because it didn’t work out, but now I’ve put it past me? Or maybe it means I no longer think of her, she’s history, and I always flunked history. Or for some, it’s more like “I’ve kicked the bitch right outta my mind, she’s no longer clogging up the system!”

Hell, I dunno. I’ve rarely had occasion to say that I’ve moved on from anything. But for some reason, whenever such occasion did arise, I could never consciously say those three words. Sometimes I wondered why. What was keeping me from putting a hurtful thought, an unfortunate failure behind me? I realised that I could never ‘move on’ when it came to my relationships (those successful, and those not quite), you know, the guy-girl thing. In every other case I could move on, be it bad grades, bad personal experiences, family hassles; anything but the chick bit. And I guess there’s only one reason for it.

Why in the name of the Holy Lord above would I wanna forget anything that made me happy, if only momentarily? Ok, you got me. Yes, broken relationships are hard. Fine, failed relationships are hurtful. I’ll give it to you, when you’re in a relationship where your partner’s taking advantage of you, or you’re not even in a relationship and your intended partner is already taking advantage of you, you’re just a pathetic dweeb! But hey, you cannot deny (don’t you dare lie, you just can’t deny) the fact that at least you were happy for a while. And even if you knew that your partner’s wrapped you round her twinky, you were still glad you did it for her. Yeah, you’d be a jackass, but a happy one at that. For a while anyway.

Yes, I’ve been in love with one girl for the better part of a decade. Yes she’s often acted in a manner that might be conceived as taking obvious advantage of that fact. And yes, I’ve been irritated, pissed, infuriated, and even at times disgusted at her for it. But hell, I’ve been happy as well. It’s a crappy song, but Britney did have a point when she crooned in her broken voice, “I’m a slave for you!” And though I cannot imagine breaking through the barrier of my ego to match the degree of servility necessary to be a slave to her (my sweetheart, not Britney you idiot!!), I cannot also deny the unfortunate fact that love is the antidote to good sense and dignity, among other things. That may not be the case for all, but I’ll wager that it is the case for enough.

Bottom line, I’ve never been happier than when I would make her smile out of anything I may have done for her. And this is just one of the women in my life (though obviously the more prominent). I’ve only had the one girlfriend so far, and I spent seven of the most amazing months of my life going around with her. I use the phrase ‘going around’ for the sake of convenience, to signify that we had a thing going on during that period. We didn’t really ‘go around’ anywhere to speak of. Anyhow, that ended in the new year of 2005. Sure I was sad, I was disappointed, shocked, bewildered, confused, broken, all of that crap. But I don’t hate her for it. I don’t even resent it. Because hey, I did have the greatest time while we were together. And in the end, if she felt that it’s not working out, then that’s ok. I had to respect her for her decision. If she were unhappy in the relationship, how long would it take for things to take a really bitter turn?

I’ve had two crushes that I can write home about, so to speak. The first one was in my second year, and as I’ve mentioned previously, I’m glad that led to nowhere in retrospect. But I wrote two songs on that chick before I realised that God was truly helping me out by keeping her outta my perimeter. So I’ve never been sorry that I liked her. And yes, I was happy when I was around her as well.

My second crush is far more recent, and luckily, I handled this the smart way; I told her that I had a crush on her before my feelings developed into something huge. That’s a new thing for me, earlier I’d wait too long before spilling the beans, and by then I’d be so far into the gal that a rejection would be crushing. But not this time. Except that the feelings haven’t wholly subsided yet. Heck, these things take time. When I told her how I felt about her, I mentioned that I owed it to myself as well as her to let her know, because in my case such feelings are rare (my criteria for choosing women are quite unconventional, kinda like myself). What’s the point of keeping something like that to myself? And of course, if I do something for her now, it makes me happy.

No, I haven’t moved on. Not from the memories of my happiness when it came to any of these women. Not from the power of emotions stirred by thoughts of them. Not from the feeling of longing to hold them in my arms and tell them how amazing they are (however short-lived that feeling might have been, and in some cases, it hasn’t as yet died). And why should I move on? I have learnt from my mistakes, and I’ve had fun while making them. So why should I just forget all about the good stuff by blotting it out with the bad. When you’re riding a wave, you’re gonna go up and down, and the one inevitably follows the other interminably on. You can choose to get off the boat, and you can choose to forget the ride. But why forget the awesome feeling of momentary weightlessness that you experienced while riding the waves, just because a while later you found yourself puking your guts out over the side?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMAZING... i jsut have no words to explain the intense emotions and deep sentiment u have within u ...
may u get all u deserve in Life
tc

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

hey da,
it was something i had thought about a lot because the girl i love told me that she would only marry the person her father would choose for her and i wasnt that person for whatever reasons... she was my first love and despite the fact that it has been years since she said that to me, i never did get over her . i still travel hundreds of miles just to meet her for the shortest periods and the silliest reasons. do you know why some guys cant get over some relationships? its because we begin to identify so much with that one person that often we forget to draw a line and entwine our lives with theirs to an extent where we cannot distinguish which part was ours and which part was theirs. such people who never get over their relationships often die happy with the pleasant memories of those relationships and have some interesting tales for our grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

hey bikram! another beautiful entry to ur blog-posts man! keep it up! i also like n agree with what ur frnd here says..mr."mullingover..."
its true that we want to live in the temporary moments of the past, the thoughts and fantasies of the one we love... maybe all our expectations frm the one we love come from our fantasies... so its absolutely fine to recall the past if it makes u feel good. to hell with those who say 'dont live in the past'!!! if it makes u feel good, puts a smile on ur face, then why not?!?!
another thing that i cud relate to in ur blog is that we dont want to give up on respective crushes n move on... it not like u cant, its just that u dont want to... i am in one of those phases.. altho i keep saying that i am "over it"... but it doesnt happen, n i dont want it to happen... coz of the nice feeling that it is! n the nice feeling it gives u when u r not feeling too good.
keep writing biks! waiting for more...

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmm!!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!
Cheers man!

Skepticus Scofferus said...

good show,man... quite an apt description..at least for the earthlings [read normal sensitive humans,who still feel the prick of pain and the unadulterated elation of joy..] though i seriously believe u can count me outta that category now(thankfully).. i guess movin on is a state of mind,some find solace in the lingering aftertaste,be it a mind jugglin puke after the boat ride or whatever..then there are others who're too confused to figure out just about anythin at all..

all in all, a brilliant articulate attempt at sorting out somethin that haunts one and all.

thusspakerono said...

why am I getting goosebumps?!!

Dan said...

one word - profound